Re: RARA-AVIS: Quiet and Loud

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 25 Jan 2001

On 25 January 2001, Schooley wrote:

: I think, for me, that's the difference between hardboiled and noir. I
: think noir deals with motivation. Action adventure can be hardboiled,
: but straight run-em-down-and-shoot-em-up is not noir, in my opinion.

Mine neither, but there's some pretty purple noir out there that's way over the top. Some Woolrich, for example. Some violent hardboiled stuff can be quiet because the lead is cool and focused. For example, say, THE NAME OF THE GAME IS DEATH by Dan J. Marlowe, or early Matt Helms. Earl Drake and Matt Helm, being professionals, and telling their stories in the first person, are on the quiet side (or so it seems in memory). Some of the stories in HARDBOILED, that anthology we read a couple of years ago, were very hard, but also quiet.

Bill