Re: RARA-AVIS: Quiet and Loud

From: Schooley ( gsp.schoo@skylinc.net)
Date: 25 Jan 2001

Kevin Burton Smith wrote:

> So, can a hard-boiled book be too quiet or too loud?
> --

I think, for me, that's the difference between hardboiled and noir. I think noir deals with motivation. Action adventure can be hardboiled, but straight run-em-down-and-shoot-em-up is not noir, in my opinion. On the other hand, I prefer to learn about the characters through their actions, than by what they or the author says about them.

Kerry