Re: RARA-AVIS: Critical Responses to Hammett

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 23 Jan 2001

On 23 January 2001, Chris Routledge wrote:

: My review of this very useful book for Swets and Zeitlinger's
: _Annotated Bibliography for English Studies_ (available online for a
: fee at www.swets.nl) is below.

Thanks for this. I went to their web site to see if they mentiond a paperback edition (Us $63 is a lot of money) and found this:

         http://info.greenwood.com/books/0313310/0313310955.html

"The volume begins with a chronology that highlights the major events in Hammett's life. The bulk of the book comprises alphabetically arranged entries for Hammett's works, characters, family members, and acquaintances. Some of the entries cite sources of additional information, and the volume concludes with a brief bibliography. While the reference is first and foremost a guide to Hammett, it is also a helpful aid to the study of the development of the American hard-boiled detective novel."

It's US $80, and was published last year. Looks really interesting.

Bill