RARA-AVIS: Ed McBain & Lizzie Borden

From: Jim Beaver ( jumblejim@prodigy.net)
Date: 21 Jan 2001

Last night I saw a Discovery Channel program on the Lizzie Borden case. It was hosted by none other than Ed McBain. What surprised me was that halfway through the program, McBain switched from being the traditional host into being a theorist in the case. He presented a theory of a lesbian love affair being discovered as the motive for Lizzie hacking up her parents.

The theory aside, is McBain known for such real-life inquiries, or is the Borden case just something he happens to be interested in? Has he written on it? I know him only from his novels.

Jim Beaver