RARA-AVIS: John D. MacDonald and April

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 20 Jan 2001

I'm cataloguing my books, and while doing my John D. MacDonalds I noticed that the first lines of one in six had something in common:

APRIL EVIL: The couple arrived in Flamingo, a town of twelve thousand population on Florida's west coast, at about eleven-thirty on the morning of the eleventh of April.

FREE FALL IN CRIMSON: We talked past midnight, sat in the deck chairs on the sun deck of the Busted Flush with the starry April sky overhead, talked quietly, and listened to the night.

THE LONG LAVENDER LOOK: Late April.

SOFT TOUCH: When I got home at six o'clock on an April Friday, the first hot day of the year, Lorraine's copper-colored Porsche was parked crooked in the driveway, keys in the ignition.

A TAN AND SANDY SILENCE: On the most beautiful day any April could be asked to come up with, I was kneeling in eight inches of oily water in the cramped bilge of Meyer's squatty little cabin cruiser, the John Maynard Keynes, taking his automatic bilge pump apart for the third time in an hour.

I don't why he liked the month so much, but it seemed unusual.

Bill