RARA-AVIS: Evan Hunter/Curt Cannon

From: Moorich2@aol.com
Date: 17 Jan 2001

I recall the Curt Cannon stories and novels as being the toughest of hardboiled from that era. The stories were from the much-missed "Manhunt," but I can't recall what name they originally appeared under. Hunter often had several stories under various names in an issue. I get back to the US on Saturday and will check my issues as well as the mystery digest index. I will also reread some of the stories which I rated highly twenty years ago. I'm curious to see if how they've stood the passage of time. I remember them as being surprisingly brutal but they may seem tame today.

As for Evan Hunter's THE EVIL SLEEP, I did not realize that it was Crider's holy grail until he fainted at the sight of it as I pulled it out for Hunter to sign. And it is not in perfect condition due to certain drool stains. As I recall, I found it while searching through some mystery digest magazines which I collected then. As general booksellers often do, digest novels were included in the stack. I realized that an Evan Hunter mystery from 1952 had to be unusual, he's an interesting writer under any name and, all in all, it seemed worth the $2.00 price.

Richard Moore