Re: RARA-AVIS: Bits and pieces, bits and pieces...

From: KS ( gsp.schoo@skylinc.net)
Date: 16 Jan 2001

Kevin Burton Smith wrote:

> But, after reading Mordecai Richler's amazing BARNEY'S VERSION, I'm
> more convinced than ever we should grab him, get him drunk, slap him
> around, and get him to write THE GREAT CANADIAN HARD-BOILED PRIVATE
> EYE NOVEL. DUDDY KRAVITZ, P.I., anyone?

Yes! Yes! A number of Canadian literary authors (Attwood, Finley) have built mysteries into their novels, but Richler is truly hardboil. But make Kravitz a PI after he's already outwitted The Wonder Boy? Sorry. He took to the con too fast to be slowed by a moral code. The grit on Montreal's streets is there strictly to give guys like him traction. Barney's the detective, but he's in a home.

Do you remember, did a PI appear in any of the novels? Joshua? Horseman?

Kerry

--

The evil that men do lives after them at http://www.murderoutthere.com
Literary events in Ontario's Golden Horseshoe and around the world at http://www.lit-electric.com
<<<<<<<<<<<IN ALL THE WRONG PLACES>>>>>>>>>>>>