RARA-AVIS: Racing in the Streets

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@colba.net)
Date: 14 Jan 2001

Bill wrote:

>I think it was Henry Gregor Felsen who wrote _Hot Rod_, _Crash Club_, and
>other novels like that, not Henry Slesar. When I was in high school in the
>Sixties, Felsen was respectable enough so that we read one of his books in
>English class. Nearly forgotten now, I imagine.

And more's the pity. But if we're gonna talk about rebellious kids, hot rods and stuff like that, we can't forget that when the first Brock Callahan books failed to set the world on fire commercially, William Campbell Gault turned to writing such great stuff as DIRT TRACK SUMMER.

In fact, I picked up my first Brock because I recognized Gault's name from all those hot rod novels I read as a kid.

Vroom, vroom, everybody.

--

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.thrillingdetective.com
Now online: The 3rd Annual Cheap Thrill Awards. Christmas Gifts. New fiction by Laura Lippman, Scott Wolven and Anthony Rain. And the debut of Tim Broderick's ODD JOBS. -- # To unsubscribe from the regular list, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to # majordomo@icomm.ca. This will not work for the digest version. # The web pages for the list are at http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/ .