RARA-AVIS: A Stone For Danny Fisher/Too Many Books

From: T.Kent Morgan ( tkmorgan@escape.ca)
Date: 13 Jan 2001

The problem with having too many books is not having a place to put them. Please stop mentioning books that I have in our unwinterized, read very, very cold, cottage on Lake Winnipeg. First of all, it was my father's Michael Shayne collection that I wanted close at hand. Now it's A Stone For Danny Fisher, which I read many years ago and enjoyed very much. I can picture it sitting on top of a wardrobe with a long line of early paperbacks. The John D. MacDonald collection is in another room.

While rummaging around at the cottage last summer, I found a copy of the Best Detective Stories of the Year for 1957. Includes stories by MacDonald, Queen, Craig Rice, Evan Hunter, William Fay and Henry Slesar, who I remember from writing a book about hot rods. The stories were first published in Manhunt, Michael Shayne, Hitchcock, Queen, Argosy, This Week, Cosmopolitan, The Saint Detective and Saturday Evening Post. Next to it was volume 1 of the World's Great Detective Stories published in 1928 and The Mystery of the Fiddling Cracksman by Harry Stephen Keeler. It's a fourth printing from 1938. Anyone know anything about these books from a content, not value, point of view?

Kent Morgan in Winnipeg