RARA-AVIS: Re: Vinegar pie

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 10 Jan 2001

Well, I guess I won't make vinegar pie. Something I forgot to ask about was the amazing cost of air conditioning that Susan mentions. $200 a month for her place, I think. What does it cost to cool an average apartment now? I had no idea it was so expensive. For all the books I've read set in Miami, Willeford describes the damp heat better than any others I can remember. The Mike Shayne I read could have been set in Cleveland, for all I knew. In NEW HOPE FOR THE DEAD, though, we get descriptions of the three different-sized sweat stains in the armpit of Hoke's shirt. He won't have a clean shirt until Saturday.

Bill