RARA-AVIS: Chas Fischer's Graphic Short Story

From: Mbdlevin@aol.com
Date: 09 Jan 2001

I just got a copy of Chas Fischer's graphic short story, "An Evening with the Doctor" (Pride of Tacoma Press). It might be of interest to people interested in weird illustrated books. The pictures are by Joe Service aka Joe Servello who did a lot of Dennis McMillan book covers. It's a story about a bizarre evening with a character very much resembling Hunter S. Thompson. It's gritty and amusing, if not quite hard-boiled. Also amusing are two little comic-page promotions for Dennis McMillan. In one, Janwillem Van De Wetering explains how he had been a practicing Zen Buddhist, but his life was changed when McMillan introduced him to Willeford, so now he's a strict Willefordian. The book is at that big comic place in LA (Hi something) or you can get it by e-mailing chasfischer@earthlink.net; I think it's 10 bucks plus postage. I'm not an interested party, though a friend to the author.

Doug