RE: RARA-AVIS: re "Traffic"

From: Anthony Dauer ( anthony.dauer@erols.com)
Date: 07 Jan 2001

Complicity? Oh, you must mean the testimony made by that three-time loser drug pusher in California who when faced with the three strikes your out law due to his latest drug-related arrest claimed that he could link the CIA to the selling of drugs in American in exchange for his freedom? Some how I don't feel comfortable blindly accepting such a person's testimony as being legitimate. Call me a cynic if you will. I'm sure that just because he was scum facing life-time imprisonment for selling drugs to children, etc., that he still had the integrity to make a legitimate witness to any alleged wrong doings by American officials who have sworn an oath to do the right thing.

I probably should review my stance on pornography as well since Ted Bundy testified that was the reason he became a serial killer ... no danger from me personally though, my philosophy on the topic parallels that of Dilbert:

        "Lately, the only thing keeping me from being a serial killer is my distaste for manual labor."

                --Scott Adams, "Dilbert"

--
volente Deo,

Anthony Dauer Alexandria, Virginia
For a taste of the Hardboiled: http://www.adau.net/judas_ezine/

-----Original Message----- From: Jay Gertzman Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2001 12:01 PM
I saw "Traffic." I agree that it is good, but it does not trace the complicity of nations such as Britain, India, Afganisthan and the United States in international drug traffic. Sticking to Mexico-US traffic helps this narrowness of focus, but we know about the drug traffic and Iran-Contra; we suspect that the result of the interdiction of the French Connection a generation ago let the door open for the control of the Southeast Asia drug trade by the spy networks of certain first-world countries, including our own. If Central American drug cartels are so powerful that their influence in their countries' politics is extreme, what choice do countries like the U.S. ahve but to cooperate with the continued export of these drugs, even while practicing "containment" (not elimination) of the problem like that shown in "Traffic"? The British mini-series on which this movie was based in much more explicit and accusatory in this regard--and more noire. The general from whom Michael Douglas took over the role of Drug Czar said it all when he said he had not made a difference. And I think the last scenes in the movie imply that, a bit weakly. As for brave Don Cheadle planting a bug, and del Torro getting a ball diamond for the neighborhood kids--well, they are doing all that they could, realistically, sort of like Philip Marlow, who accepted "the way cities are run," aa does the Michael Douglas character, who saves himself morally by resigning his post.