Re: RARA-AVIS: Marvin Albert

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 05 Jan 2001

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Etienne Borgers wrote:

> I suppose Roger Martin and Juri were referring to the
> death of Marvin in 1996 in France where he lived since
> the early 80's. So the assembly of short stories by
> French writers was in fact a literary "hommage" to
> Albert.

Martin used the very word "disappearance". Are the stories in the
"hommage" any good? Can you name any writers?

> Mixed feelings about his work (more than 80 books I
> think) can easily happen due to great variations in
> quality. IMO the best is to find under his pseudonym
> Al Conroy, and some western novels (very close to
> HB/Noir) he published under his real name.

At least "Devil in Dungarees" (1960 or so) should be at everyone's reading list.

> He was still publishing crime novels when living in
> France, mainly under his real name.

Stone Angel books are pretty good, even though I'm not very enthusiastic about them. I don't know why, maybe it's because the translations, but Pete Sawyer just isn't interesting enough a character.

> I take the opportunity to wish a very good 2001 to all
> of the list followers. Be it very HB and Noir... in
> your readings only!

Same to you, too, and others.

Juri