Re: RARA-AVIS: Big Bob

From: Etienne Borgers ( freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Date: 05 Jan 2001

You will probably remember that Lee Server was one of the 3 editors of "The Big Book of Noir".

Server already published interesting works about pulps and old paperbacks some year ago, as well as some short essays on Noir films, and more complete works on some cinema noir prominent creators ( such as Samuel Fuller).

I red only a small part of his "Robert Mitchum", but it helps to understand better what made Big Bob tick, and made him the kind of HB guy he always appeared to be.
(I hope to have more details in a few weeks about Lee Server's book, and I will publish something on Hard-Boiled Mysteries about it and Robert Mitchum).

Now, about the previous thread presenting RM as a singer, I suppose most of you here know that, before being a regular actor, Mitchum wrote songs that were performed in clubs by others. He sang himself, but the studios at the time forbade him to have a parallel career as a singer. Later, when he more or less escaped to the grip of the Hollywood studios he was even thinking to pursue his career as a singer only and to drop acting. Fortunately he did not!

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384