Re: RARA-AVIS: Robert Mitchum (was James Atlee Phillips (fwd)

From: Jim Beaver ( jumblejim@prodigy.net)
Date: 03 Jan 2001

Robert Mitchum wrote and sang two songs from "Thunder Road" -- "The Ballad of Thunder Road" and "Whippoorwill." Both appear on his first album, "That Man Robert Mitchum Sings". He later released the aforementioned calypson album, the re-release of which contains a cut or two from the first album as well. "That Man....." has Mitchum singing fairly well in a Sixties Dean Martin kind of style. Mitchum was quite a fellow, very wide-ranging. He wrote an oratorio produced by Orson Welles at the Hollywood Bowl, as well as the previously mentioned songs. His role in the HB and noir film genre cannot be underestimated, particularly in "Out of the Past," (from Daniel Mainwaring's "Build My Gallows High") and as Chandler's Marlowe in "Farewell My Lovely."