Re: RARA-AVIS: Thunder Road

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 03 Jan 2001

I have Mitchum's Thunder Road on the Shut Down compilaton LP, featuring Mitchum, the Cheers and the Beach Boys (hence their later LP Shut Down, Vol. 2), among others, singing car songs.

However, Thunder Road is also available as a bonus cut on Scamp's reissue of Mitchum's Calypso -- is like so . . . They also added new liner notes by Nick Tosches (www.scamp-records.com/robert_mitchum/). The CD (I don't know if it added the extra cuts) was also reissued in the UK by Re-Vola, but I guess that's probably no longer available, as it was a subsidiary of the now defunct Creation label.

Also, by all means check out the movie Thunder Road if you get the chance -- a hardboiled masterpiece, one of Mitchum's best. Fully deserves its cult.

Mark