Re: RARA-AVIS: Willeford and Thompson and what's for dinner

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 03 Jan 2001

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Maura McMillan wrote:

> compare that to page one of 'i was looking for a street,' the first
> volume of autobiography of willeford's, where he discusses family
> dinners prior to the death of his mother, when he was seven, and the
> consequent dissolution of their household: "we had a full-time negro
> cook, and we ate big dinners at night -- huge roasts, turkeys, chicken
> and dumplings, and i don't remember what all. except for joe cassidy,
> who had moved to los angeles from new york, mattie, mama, and roy were
> from greensville, mississippi, so southern cooking predominated.
> because i was the only child, and a boy at that, i was indulged. i
> liked jell-o, for example, and regardless of the desserts the others
> had, i was always served jell-o, usually the red kind with chopped
> bananas in it."

So this is where the seemingly compulsive listing of things, mainly food and various dishes, in "The Woman Chaser" and other books of Willeford comes from! I always wondered what's the point writing all that down. It may be some sort of an absurdist social critique, but now I see that it's bibliographic stuff!

Juri