Re: RARA-AVIS: what's a good first willeford?

From: kip.stratton@ni.com
Date: 02 Jan 2001

Chris Bahn wrote: "Intrigued by all the discussion about Charles Willeford
- what would be a good place to begin reading him?"

I'd start with the Hoke Mosley novels, in order: MIAMI BLUES, NEW HOPE FOR THE DEAD, SIDESWIPE, and THE WAY WE DIE NOW. That will get you started. Then you'll want to go backwards and hit the two early-'70s classics: COCKFIGHTER and THE BURNT ORANGE HERESY. Finally, you'll want to read the short memoir, I WAS LOOKING FOR A STREET. I think those seven books (all of which are fairly easy reads) will give you a basic grounding in Willeford. After you've finished those, I'd pick up anything of his I could find.

Later....Kip