Re: RARA-AVIS: Willeford/Himes

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 01 Jan 2001

John Lau wrote:

". . . also, I don't think anyone who's aware of Grimhaven's existence requires a spoiler alert on what the book is essentially about."

I have to agree with this. The first mention I ever saw of Grimhaven was in Lawrence Block's American Heritage article about the great hardboiled writers. It is always described by its ending, the book where Hoke . . . Just as John D. MacDonald's rumored (has anyone found out for sure whether or not it actually exists?) last McGee novel with Black in the title (which I also found out about in Block's article). Hell, that was its alleged value, the threat to kill off Travis was a negotiating tool with publshers.

I also agree with John on Grimhaven's worth. Plus it's fascinating for how Willeford used a lot of it in the later Hokes that were published, for instance, the taking off his daughter's braces with pliers to save orthodontist money.

Mark