RARA-AVIS: Recent reads

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 25 Dec 2000

Yeah, still reading up a storm here:

Eugene Izzi -- INVASIONS Pretty compelling story -- two brothers, one a professional thief, the other just out from prison -- get caught in a Mob powerplay. Some gritty atmosphere, particularly early on, and much of the book has an authentic ring to it -- but there's also blocks of some incredibly hamhanded prose. (I think this manuscript could've used another rewrite, frankly.) There's enough good stuff here, though, that I'm curious to see what else Izzi did.

William Campbell Gault -- DON'T CRY FOR ME Very fine crime novel. Fifties-era slacker gets involved with the wrong crowd and a couple of murders. As much a character study of a guy who can't fit into the post WW2 world as it is anything else. A book that somebody ought to bring back in print.

Loren D. Estleman -- THE WITCHFINDER This is an Amos Walker book, and like the others I've read it's certainly readable, but rather workmanlike. Frankly, I think Estleman's Westerns are more inspired.

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com