RARA-AVIS: Woolrich & Daniels

From: Moorich2@aol.com
Date: 22 Dec 2000

Apologies for the mistakes in my last hurried posting. Obviously, Nick Tosches' bio of Dean Martin is DINO not DEANO.

I agree with Bill Crider's estimate of Harold R. Daniels. He had quite a spurt of good little novels in the old Dell First series of the 1950s. They published some great stuff including a John D. MacDonald or two and (I think) the first edition of Jack Finney's THE BODY SNATCHERS. Great package that usually included a photo of the author, which was rare for pbs in those days.
 The last thing I remember by Daniels was THE HOUSE ON GREENAPPLE ROAD, which was made into a TV movie with Christopher George, Janet Leigh and Julie Harris. Anyone remember the movie? I never saw it.

Doug mentioned Woolrich's STRANGLER'S SERENADE, which I think was the last, or nearly the last, novel Woolrich published under the William Irish name. I remember it as one of his weakest novels, although the opening couple of chapters were nice. My favorite Woolrich is RENDEZVOUS IN BLACK.

Richard Moore