RARA-AVIS: The Private Practice of Michael Shayne

From: James Reasoner ( james53@flash.net)
Date: 21 Dec 2000

This is the second book in the Shayne series. It's been about thirty years since I read it the first time. I remembered it as being better than the first one, _Dividend on Death_, and it is, a little, but they're really pretty comparable. The plot in this one is rather thin, but Phyllis is a better developed character and not nearly as annoying as she is in the first book. This is a direct sequel to the first book, beginning a month after
_Dividend_ ends, and Phyllis and Shayne aren't married yet. Tim Rourke, Shayne's reporter friend, makes his first appearance in the series. He was missing from _Dividend_. Shayne doesn't cook much at all in this book, but he sure brews a lot of coffee and drinks a lot of cognac. As usual, the breakneck pace is the best thing about this book. Dresser really knows how to move a story along. There's not a word wasted.

For all their flaws (and I do see them), for some reason books from this era really resonate with me, more so than most (but certainly not all) contemporary hardboiled fiction does.

James