RARA-AVIS: Fanny Ellsworth

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 20 Dec 2000

Crippen and Landru, run by our own Mr. Greene, just sent me LONG LIVE THE DEAD, their collection of BLACK MASK stories by nonagenerian Hugh B. Cave. It's a fine-looking collection, with a long introduction by Keith Allan Deutsch, lots of commentary by Cave, and a bibliography in the back.

One thing I noticed relates to the endless question of women and the hardboiled. Two editors of BLACK MASK were women, one being Fanny Ellsworth, the other I don't know. Does anyone here know anything about them, what sort of editorial slant they had, how they came to edit the magazine, that sort of thing?

Bill