RARA-AVIS: Tough, yes - realistic, no.

From: MatCoward@aol.com
Date: 19 Dec 2000

<< Until I cross the Atlantic again, I am separated from most of my Chandler and
 so can't be specific in my references to respond to Mat. But I do not
 believe that he was always, only referring to "emotional realism." As Chris
 noted, he was not above posturing in this area. >>

Yes, that's undeniable! He did rather fancy himself, and - like all of us - he was inconsistent. But remember that RC's own view was that the most important thing about RC as a writer was his classical education - and the understanding that gave him of myth. In the letters he often sneers at people complaining that Marlowe is an unrealistic PI - for the obvious reason, that a realistic PI wouldnt be worth reading about. I think it was mostly his admirers (then and now) who saddled him with this dreadful "realism" tag, which has held back harboiled I think ever since.
- Mat
<A HREF=" http://hometown.aol.co.uk/matcoward/myhomepage/newsletter.html"> http://hometown.aol.co.uk/matcoward/myhomepage/newsletter.html>