Re: RARA-AVIS: Spares

From: Ron Clinton ( r-and-jclinton@email.msn.com)
Date: 18 Dec 2000

From: "Brian Lawrence"
> Coming out of lurkdom to give praise to a recently read book. The book is
> called SPARES by Michael Marshall Smith. This is a cross-genre book,
> basically hardboiled science fiction> The book has all the elements of a
hardboiled PI novel. I'll be looking for more by Mr. Smith.

SPARES was indeed a fabulous cross-genre book, taking the very best hardboiled traits and mixing them in a (thankfully) sparse sci-fi storyline. Not much of one for most sci-fi novels, I found this book absolutely mezmerizing. Smith has two other novels - ONLY FORWARD and ONE OF US - in print and easy to find...and they're both equally impressive. His short-story collection, WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT, is available only in the UK so can be tough to track down here in the U.S. But the effort's definitely worth it.

Ron Clinton