RARA-AVIS: Chandler & etc.

From: Moorich2@aol.com
Date: 18 Dec 2000

Until I cross the Atlantic again, I am separated from most of my Chandler and so can't be specific in my references to respond to Mat. But I do not believe that he was always, only referring to "emotional realism." As Chris noted, he was not above posturing in this area. I have great admiration for Chandler. I can't wait to get the new collection of letters for his SELECTED LETTERS is one of my favorite books. Perhaps in the new collection he passionately condemns the whole *idea* of realism, although no sane person would get overly exercised about it, one way or the other.

I agree with Kevin that you cannot categorize writers or readers these days based on gender and what they write or read. My comments were specifically about the birth of the HB private eye in the pulps of the 20s, 30s and 40s. Leigh Brackett is a favorite of mine and I've tracked down several of her detective stories in the pulps of the 1940s because she was quite good at any time, in any genre. The conventions have changed over the years and I do think that, in part, reflects the changes in the readership both demographically and psychographically. Writers and publishers would be nuts not to respond to this. Some of it is quite good and much of it is drek but that's just Sturgeon's Law.

Richard Moore