RARA-AVIS: Spares

From: Brian Lawrence ( bdlawrence@netscape.net)
Date: 18 Dec 2000

Coming out of lurkdom to give praise to a recently read book. The book is called SPARES by Michael Marshall Smith. This is a cross-genre book, basically hardboiled science fiction. It's about an ex-cop in the future, returning to New Richmond (a city of 200+ floors in a giant airship), trying to make a life for some "spares." Spares are clones that have been created for the sole purpose of spare parts for their original.

The book has all the elements of a hardboiled PI novel. Gangsters, corrupt cops, pithy banter, sultry broads, big guns, dark society, and lots of commentary on same society.

The book started slow for me, but about 1/4 in really picked up. I hated finishing it because I got so wrapped up in the writing and the characters. There's things I could pick apart about it, but in general it was a great read. I'll be looking for more by Mr. Smith.

Merry Christmas, everyone. And a hardboiled New Year to all.

Brian Lawrence http://www.eclectics.com/brianlawrence Fiction Editor, Futures Magazine http://www.futuresforstorylovers.com

____________________________________________________________________ Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at http://home.netscape.com/webmail