Re: RARA-AVIS: realism vs fantasy

From: Jess Nevins ( jjnevins@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 17 Dec 2000

Anthony Dauer wrote:

> This might be nothing more than splitting hairs for some, but I'd call it
> myth not fantasy. The roots of it deal more with the mythical archetypes
> passed down through mankind's history than with made-up concepts.

Hmm. I'd have said that it's much more American-based, being a part of the lone-wolf-of-justice-fighting-on-the-frontier that more or less started with Cooper and continues today in science fiction and cyberpunk. There are certainly archetypes in it, but it's much more of a specifically American cultural myth.

jess