RE: RARA-AVIS: James Lee Burke/ U Boats in the Gulf of Mexico

From: Anthony Dauer (
Date: 16 Dec 2000

All I know is that it was major news when footage of New York harbor was found taken by an Nazi U-Boat.

Anthony Dauer

Hard-boiled Noir
-----Original Message----- From: []On Behalf Of Jess Nevins Sent: Saturday, December 16, 2000 12:29 PM To: Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: James Lee Burke/ U Boats in the Gulf of Mexico

Anthony Dauer wrote:
> Considering the level of panic that it would create ... I can see why.
You might think that...but you'd be wrong. People knew that ships were being sunk in the Gulf by U-boats; the papers carried that news, just as they carried the news of other American defeats. If people don't remember that today, it's due more to history being poorly and improperly taught rather than to a lack of information at the time of the sinkings.
Take a spin through any Texas or Louisiana newspaper for 1942 and 1943 and you'll find articles on the U-boats in the Gulf.
-- # To unsubscribe from the regular list, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to # This will not work for the digest version. # The web pages for the list are at .