Re: RARA-AVIS: Mike Shayne

From: Maura McMillan ( mmcm@azstarnet.com)
Date: 16 Dec 2000

James wrote: The book is utterly perfunctory

Thank you for saying that, because for once I had actually TRIED to get into the true RA spirit and had read Blood On Biscayne Bay, (in part because we were flying to Miami, and in part because it has a cool map on the map) and found it appallingly horrifically perfunctory, to use J's word again. Mike did indeed swill an amazing amount of cognac, and forced it and other liquors on others as well so as to compromise them and defuse their power against him. i guess he solved the murder but i'm not really sure. things sort of fell apart during the christie-esque final meeting of all the suspects, including people slipping out of the room unnoticed, never to return. so i'll take everyone's word that some of the mike shaynes stink and some don't. i just can't believe it took whoever wrote this poarticular one longer to write it than it took to just type put the words, and never look back regarding revision. i tried it myself and wrote a faux first mike shayne chapter in about 45 minutes. that was taking my time.