Re: RARA-AVIS: James Lee Burke/ U Boats in the Gulf of Mexico

From: Jess Nevins ( jjnevins@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 15 Dec 2000

Pat Zeitoun wrote:

> Lynn and Jess,
>
> Having lived on the Gulf Coast or Florida all of my life, I wonder why this
> business of U Boats sinking tankers is so little known. Of course we heard
> of German subs being sunk, and have known there were sub wreckage off of
> Galveston, here in Texas. Was information about subs and U Boats being so
> active and apparently successful, kept from the American public at the time?

No--I've seen newspaper articles from the 1940s talking about the ships lost to the Germans. But history--the *real* stuff--isn't taught, not properly. People don't learn about U-boats in the Gulf, they don't learn about the Biscari massacres (German & Italian POWs being shot by American troops), they don't learn about the role of ENIGMA in winning the war. People are taught safe, potted histories.

jess--sorry for being OTP, everyone....