Re: RARA-AVIS: RE: Jeremiah Healey and Bullitt

From: David White ( dpwhite@eden.rutgers.edu)
Date: 15 Dec 2000

I just finished SPIRAL by Healy and found it to be a great read, along with the rest of his novels. I've never found him to be a Parker rip-off and I do agree he's only gotten better. Healy (unlike Parker, who I just spent a whole email defending) is willing to take risks with his characters. He killed off an important cog in Cuddy's life just to switch things up and get a different take on the character. Healy's novels are well thought out and reflect, as I believe was said, a MacDonald
(Ross) type of storytelling. The novels are usually surprising, and rarely disappointing. Not something that can be said about Parker.

As for my Bullit comment about the number of hubcaps. I've only seen the movie once and never noticed, but my roommate likes to point that fact out, just so it can't be called the greatest car chase of all time I believe. So, uh, blame him. Yeah, that's the ticket.

-Dave