Re: RARA-AVIS: Spenser.

From: John Williams ( johnwilliams@ntlworld.com)
Date: 14 Dec 2000

> DW wrote:
>
> >The early Spenser's were great,
> >Parker revolutionized the PI in the seventies, I think. I mean, my info
> >has never really been that great, but who else has given the PI a steady
> >relationship, made him tackle a sensitized world, and have a PC code
while
> >not being exactly PC. (I don't think shooting two people in a park is
> >exactly PC).

Actually one thing I really hate about the Spenser books is the way Parker invents minority characters - Hawk, Rachael Wallace - and then has them spend their whole time telling Spenser what a great guy he is - thus attempting to con the reader into subliminally thinking that real black people,.lesbians, etc, etc think Parker's lumbering mixture of fifties macho gallantry and seventies political chic is really cool.

Linked to this is another thing I really hate about the Spenser books - the way Hawk is forever saying hey I'm not a stereotypical black man - look I like fancy food! - immediately before he does a whole lot of stereotypical big bad black guy stuff.

Also surely it's not an either/or to criticise Spenser for being at heart a Marlowe clone and also to deplore the way Parker self-consciously tries to get out of this trap by simultaneously being talkier than Chandler - the ghastly Susan stuff - and dumber than Chandler ever dreamt of being - the sub James Bond stuff in Catskill Eagle et al.

Finally, Mr Pelecanos is surely right to point out the influence Parker has had on younger writers. However, if you look at the work of a basically very fine writer like Dennis Lehane you can attribute almost everything wrong with his books ( the Hawk-like figure of Bubba, the overblown endings) to the tawdry influence of Parker.

John