Re: RE: Re: RE: RARA-AVIS: Spenser....

From: jjnevins@ix.netcom.com
Date: 14 Dec 2000

rara-avis@icomm.ca wrote:

> Bubba, you need to look those words up in your dictionary again.
> There is nothing hypocritical or illogical about critizing the
> content of his argument. Look up "you're another" under logical
> fallacies while your relearning what hypocritical means also.

Descending so quickly into personal insults? That may be a record for you.

I was responding to Kevin's comment and your response. Kevin's comment was, roughly, that you can't criticize Spenser for, on the one hand, not being like Marlowe, and on the other hand for being an empty copy of Marlowe. That is both hypocritical, in that you are taking on the appearance of objective criticism (when the truth is you are simply slagging Parker), and illogical, in that you are criticizing Parker for being A and being Not A. Either Spenser is an empty Marlowe clone, which you might argue is a bad thing, or Spenser does un-Marlowe-like things, which you could argue is also a bad thing. You can't criticize him for being both, simply because the two are mutually exclusive.

And since you mentioned logical fallacies, you might look up
"Ad Hominem."

--- Original Message --- jjnevins@ix.netcom.com Wrote on Wed, 13 Dec 2000 13:35:04 -0500