Re: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled Winter & PWG update

From: a.n.smith ( ansmith@netdoor.com)
Date: 13 Dec 2000

> Pelecanos is on a roll: PW gave his last book, Shame the Devil, a starred
> review; Sean "Puffy"Combs is developing King Suckerman into a movie; and
> Miramax is producing a screenplay he wrote. This novel features a
detective
> who investigates one cop's shooting by another.

I'm looking forward to reading it. What a hard-boiled winter ahead! With the new Pelecanos, Lehane, Hunter/McBain, and Michael Connelly all coming out in the first two months of the year, and a new Ellroy novel scheduled for April or May. That's high powered stuff.

And Shame the Devil is my pick for H-B book of the year. I'm updating Plots With Guns tomorrow with some interim features, as we won't have a complete issue up until January 8th. But our interim update includes this Best of 2000 article, Jim Blue's column "In Praise of the Underappreciated" focussing on the George Pelecanos' important body of work, and the PWG debut of Victor Gischler's column "Hard-boiled Dixie", which had formerly been a regular feature at Themestream. And now, he's joined us at the home of the Crimedogs.

Neil Smith