RARA-AVIS: Spenser....

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@colba.net)
Date: 13 Dec 2000

Didn't you guys read what I said?

You guys don't have to like Spenser, and I never said you had to, but you can't criticize him on one hand for all the very un-Marlowe-like things he does, and then on the other write him off as an empty copy. At the very least, whether he succeeded or failed, Parker should be credited with trying to move beyond Chandler and stake out his own turf.

You don't like where Parker went, that's fine. I have problems with a good chunk of the series, myself, but I admire that he left the circle of retro-mimickry and fuzzy-headed nostalgia long ago. 1949 is over.

If you want to really look at empty mimickry, look at all the Spenser clones that have popped up in the last twenty or so years. Some of those series have been running on second-hand fumes for years now, with nary a glimpse of originality in sight.

--

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.thrillingdetective.com
Now online: Our December issue. The Thrillies. Christmas Gifts. New fiction. And Tim Broderick's ODD JOBS. -- # To unsubscribe from the regular list, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to # majordomo@icomm.ca. This will not work for the digest version. # The web pages for the list are at http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/ .