RARA-AVIS: Re: Howard Browne

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@colba.net)
Date: 12 Dec 2000

Juri wrote:

>The only one I've read is "Taste of Ashes". I would regard it very
>highly - something straight out of Chandler territory, but without the
>empty mimicking that weakens Chandler's later admirerers, like
>Robert Parker.

Empty mimicking? Spenser may be a lot of things, but being a pale imitiation of Marlowe isn't one of them. Even in the first book, I think it was obvious Parker was showing signs of taking Spenser far beyond where Chandler had taken Marlowe. In fact, the largest criticism on this list is that Parker has taken Spenser too far beyond, not that he's been emptily mimicking him.

I mean, let's give credit where credit is due. Although he obviously owes a huge debt to Chandler, it's equally obvious, and to his credit, I think, that Parker's been his own man.

--

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.thrillingdetective.com
Now online: Our December issue. The Thrillies. Christmas Gifts. New fiction. And Tim Broderick's ODD JOBS. -- # To unsubscribe from the regular list, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to # majordomo@icomm.ca. This will not work for the digest version. # The web pages for the list are at http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/ .