Re: RARA-AVIS: Mike Shayne Month!

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 09 Dec 2000

Going back a couple of days, on 6 December 2000, James Reasoner wrote:

: I'd been reading Shayne novels for years, so I really enjoyed having
: the chance to write about the character as Brett Halliday. For a
: long-time fan, it was quite an honor.

At the time, how did you place Shayne in the hardboiled pantheon? What sort of view did you have of hardboiled stories? I'd be interested to hear how you thought of the character, given all the things that had come along since his creation, your age (I found your web page and you were only in your late twenties when doing the MSMM stuff), the times, etc. With such a long-running character, handled by so many writers, if they stayed near the bible and the editor wasn't picky, I imagine there could be a fair bit of room for them to play around. Did you do things with him that Davis Dresser wouldn't have liked, or wouldn't have thought of?

In the stories then in the magazine, what time was Shayne in? Were they set in the past, in the present, or in a nebulous netherworld?

Bill