Re: RARA-AVIS: HB questions

From: KS ( gsp.schoo@skylinc.net)
Date: 07 Dec 2000

> I'm one of those who enjoyed American Tabloid, but I am very much interested
> in that part of our history, and I think that's why I liked it so much. But
> I agree, it wasn't very tight. He could've lost a few thousand words here
> and there.

It's interesting to see all these similar responses to American Tabloid. I felt much the same way. I was exhillarated at the end of the LA novels. I enjoyed Am Tab, but felt completely worn down by the end. I'm not sure that wasn't part of the author's intent.

In earlier novels characters, however obsesive and corrupt, were striving for redemption and there was some hope that it could be achieved, at least in a limited sense. In Am Tab the characters seemed as worn down by corruption as I was, completely without hope.

And it's easier to accept all the usual corruption in a community with a reputation for that sort of thing. Tougher to accept it as a part of recent, national/international history, particularly an era that has enjoyed the popular mythology of being exempt from the sleazy norm. And maybe that was Ellroy's point?

I was wondering, too, if anyone else was reminded of Tom Wolfe's Bonfire of the Vanities? All these people doing things for the wrong reasons, but muddling along nevertheless. Though Wolfe played it as farce. Am Tab was the meanest Ellroy I've read.

Kerry

--

The evil that men do lives after them at http://www.murderoutthere.com
Literary events in Ontario's Golden Horseshoe and around the world at http://www.lit-electric.com
<<<<<<<<<<<IN ALL THE WRONG PLACES>>>>>>>>>>>>