Re: RARA-AVIS: As You Like It

From: Mark Troy ( metroy@unix.tamu.edu)
Date: 06 Dec 2000

The PI stories in As You Like It include some which were collaborative and some each did individually. One of the most fascinating parts of the collection is the differences in perspective the two authors have on the collaboration. I recall one part where Lew complains that Joe gave him a few lines or paragraphs of a story and said, 'can you run with this?'

The other thing I found interesting in their essays is Joe's theory that the editor of Mike Shayne's Mystery Magazine would drop a random line of text here or there in order to force the story into the limited page space. The stories in As You Like It have all of the lines that were supposed to be there.

Mark

Mark Troy Visit my web site: http://www.tamu.edu/marshome/staff_pages/murder.html

Coming soon! "Pilikia Is My Business," a mystery novel from LTDBooks http://www.ltdbooks.com Catch the reprise of "Drop Dead Zone" featured at Without A Clue, Dec 2000 http://www.webpanache.com/ewgpresents/clue.htm