Re: RARA-AVIS: Mike Shayne Month!

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 06 Dec 2000

On 6 December 2000, James Reasoner wrote:

: The Shayne novella, at least one novelette, and five or six short
: stories. At one point in the magazine's history, back in the late
: Fifties and early Sixties, the Shayne stories were only about 10,000
: words. In those issues, there was usually a novella by some other PI
: writer of the time, often Frank Kane.

It sounds like it was a really solid magazine, with lots of good stories. I looked around some of the fictionmags magazine lists and found a few content listings of some later MSMMs:

        http://users.ev1.net/~homeville/msf/b13.htm#A329 and http://users.ev1.net/~homeville/msf/b14.htm#TOP

The first page links to content listings for January - Setpember 1980, and all the novellas are by you. Lots of other familiar names listed too. The second page covers all the issues from then to 1985.

: While I was writing Shaynes I was also corresponding with Mike
: Avallone and Dennis Lynds ...

What sort of stuff would you discuss? How work was going and where you were selling, that sort of thing?

It's great hearing you talk about your work at MSMM.

By the way, I just got some e-mail from an Italian who's writing a thesis on "the double" in Lynds' work and wondered if I knew of any books about him or had his e-mail address. I said I didn't, but now I remember that his wife, a successful writer, has a web site up. Does anyone remember the URL?

Bill