Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Jacques Barzun

From: Etienne Borgers ( freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Date: 05 Dec 2000

There was a revised edition of CATALOGUE OF CRIME, in 1986- but I never could see it.

'Catalogue...' was praised because (as I read somewhere)it seems to be the first attempt to gather such a number of comments about works of crime/mystery fiction. Maybe this explains why it still appears in to-day references (?)

The duo wrote also prefaces to each of the fifty
"classics" of crime lit reprinted by Garland Publishing. A short volume (about 100 pp) gathers these prefaces: 'A Book of Prefaces to Fifty Classics of Crime Fiction, 1900-1950' - 1976

Just to add to Barzun's biblio.

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384