RARA-AVIS: Stark Month

From: StephenHy@aol.com
Date: 29 Nov 2000

Hi, I am de-lurking to express my gratitude to the list for bringing yet another terrific writer to my attention. I am constantly amazed by the depth of good books in this genre.

When I originally discovered hb/noir, I read Chandler, Cain, and Hammett, but then a few others who didn't measure up. I assumed that there just was not much out there beyond the big three. Then, seven or eight years ago, I came across the Vintage Black Lizard series and discovered the likes of Thompson, Goodis, and Brown. After a binge on these writers, I was sure that I would not find anymore first class stuff, at least not of the pre 1970 variety.

Now, I come across Rara-Avis and find Stark and Hamilton and a long list of others to try out. It seems like there is just no end to this stuff - and that's fine by me.

Stephen Hynes