RARA-AVIS: Stark

From: Bill Crider ( abc@wt.net)
Date: 27 Nov 2000

I was feeling pretty old today when I started re-reading Stark's THE HANDLE and realized that it had been more than 30 years since I first looked into it. So I was glad to see Ray's post about not having read a Stark book in decades. At least I'm not the only one. The reason I picked THE HANDLE was that I vaguely recalled that it took place in the area where I now live, and I was right. The island that Parker knocks over is near Galveston. Karns, the head of the Outfit, mentions "The Gutting of Couffignal," but of course Parker's never heard of it. Stark sure had, but probably no rara-avian needed Karns' little clue to know which Hammett story was being homaged in the novel. By the way, I liked Grofeld in this one. I just don't like him as much at novel length.

Bill Crider