RARA-AVIS: Re: FIRSTS magazine on collecting Hammett

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 27 Nov 2000

Nolan says in his article:

| I am currently at work on a "definitive" biography, A LIFE BEYOND
| THURSDAY: THE DANGEROUS WORLD OF DASHIELL HAMMETT, which will contain,
| beyond the main text, an all-inclusive 100-page bibliography
| of material by and about the author, covering all media.

The title comes from Nunnally Johnson, who Nolan quotes as telling Julian Symons, "From the day I met Hammett in the late 1920s his behaviour could be accounted for only by an assumption that he had no expectation [due to his poor health] of being alive much beyond Thursday ... a man who was clearly convinced that there would never be a tomorrow."

With that and the collection of letters edited by Layman and Josephine Hammett Marshall--Fred Zackel sent out the blurb--there's lots of good reading in the works.

Bill