Re: RARA-AVIS: pseudonyms (was Ed McBain/Evan Hunter)

From: James Reasoner ( james53@flash.net)
Date: 27 Nov 2000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Sullivan" < DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net> To: < rara-avis@icomm.ca> Sent: Monday, November 27, 2000 2:00 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: pseudonyms (was Ed McBain/Evan Hunter)

> Kevin wrote:
>
> "Probably Michael Shayne was the most used pseudonym, but I wonder which
> HB writer used the most pseudonyms?"
>
> Dennis Lynds (that is the real one among his many aliases, isn't it?)
> probably tops them both, but here are two nominees:

<snip Westlake and Block pseudonym lists>

Here are the Lynds names I can remember:

1. Dennis Lynds 2. Michael Collins 3. William Arden 4. John Stowe 5. Mark Sadler 6. Brett Halliday 7. Robert Hart Davis 8. Maxwell Grant

He also wrote books in the Nick Carter and Mack Bolan series, but neither of those have actual by-lines on them.

How about W.T. Ballard? I can think of the following names he used:

1. W.T. Ballard 2. Todhunter Ballard 3. P.D. Ballard 4. John Shepherd 5. Jack Slade 6. Clint Reno 7. Neil McNeil 8. Harrison Hunt (with Norbert Davis) 9. John Hunter 10. Parker Bonner 11. Sam Bowie 12. Hunter D'Allard 13. Clay Turner 14. Brian Fox 15. Brian Agar

He also wrote pulp novels, sometimes in collaboration with Robert Leslie Bellem, under house names Robert Wallace and John Grange, as well as one novel in the Nick Carter series. Of course, most of the names above were used only on Westerns, so that may not count.

James