Re: RARA-AVIS: Stark's Slayground

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 20 Nov 2000

Slayground was the frst Parker I read, also. At that point, Berkley Medallion (I think) was reissuing them with numbers in the corner. Slayground was #1, Point Blank was #2, etc. As you can see, the numbers had nothing to do with the original order of publication. Anyway, Slayground is not one of my favorite Parker books, either. It relies too much on a gimmick, putting Parker into a confined area, then having him react to various things and people coming at him in the amusement park. I am far more interested in reading about Parker acting, than reacting.

Unlike Martha, I'm a big fan of the planning and execution sections of the series. I find these parts fascinating. The whole book flows from trying to stick with the plan as things go awry.

So Frank, I guess I'm saying you should give the series another chance, possibly with The Hunter (AKA Point Blank, AKA Payback). Although, I heartily recommend Dark Ride and, especially, Sallis, also. I just read Eye of the Cricket and it's my favorite in the Lew Griffin series after the first.

Mark