Re: RARA-AVIS: Stark Month--What do you think of the Grofield novels?

From: Mark Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 20 Nov 2000

Doug Basset again:

> I think those who like the Dortmunder Westlake will
> tend to like the Grofeld books, and vice versa.

I may be an exception in this also. I like Grofield though I'm not crazy about the Dortmunder books, but I really like most of Westlake's lighter books.

As long as Doug mentioned Dortmunder I'll sneak in a mention of an author who definitely is not hard boiled. I really like English fantasy writer Tom Holt. In one of his latest books he takes on fairy tales and nursery rhymes. After blowing down the Three Pigs' house, The Big Bad Wolf, sensing danger,
"figured out long ago that true courage is the ability to throw fear out of focus long enough to get the job done. Through these mean glades a wolf must trot, and that was all there was to it."

You find echoes of Chandler in unexpected places. Mark