Re: RARA-AVIS: James Crumley's short story: "Hot Springs"

From: kip.stratton@ni.com
Date: 20 Nov 2000

Crumley, of course, started out as a "quality Lit" sort of guy out of the University of Iowa Writers Workshop. As a young man, he wrote short stories and was well acquainted with three masters of the form, Bill Kittredge, Raymond Carver, and Andre Dubus. But in the intro to MUDDY FORK, I believe it was, he says something about moving away from shorter fiction to the novel (and ultimately to crime fiction). My guess is that the stories Dennis collected in WHORES and those subsequently collected by Dan Gerber into MUDDY FORK were written prior to 1973. I know some of them had appeared in literary journals previously. Others had not been set into type until Dennis brought out WHORES and so, therefore, did not appear in print until the '80s, although I suspect they were written several years earlier.

My speculation on the matter....

Later....Kip