Re: RARA-AVIS: James Crumley's short story: "Hot Springs"

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 20 Nov 2000

I never got around to picking up Muddy Forks because it didn't have that much I didn't already have in Whores. And I think, but am not entirely sure, that it was rounded out with non-fiction magazine pieces.

Penzler may also be getting around the "new short story" technicality by exempting excerpts from works in progress. As I recall (it's buried in a box I can't get to at the moment), much if not all of the new fiction in Whores was chapters of what woud become Mexican Tree Duck (the jukebox on the traintracks chapter) and his long-awaited Texas novel. As I noted though, this is from memory when I read it when it first came out, so I may not be entirely accurate.

Mark